Monday, December 3, 2007

Magic Trixie pencils and layouts

I've had many requests to show what a page of pencil drawings for my painted comics looks like before I start putting paint to board. I usually forget to record those steps because I'm jamming toward a deadline. Also, I don't feel the need to record each step like I used to when I was simply pencilling comics that someone else was going to ink. I'm controlling the final outcome of the page and that's what I want the reader to see. But it is nice to keep a record of the process.
So, I stopped myself and scanned this one before moving ahead. Because most of the art comes from the color, you'll seee that just the bare bones are visible. This is what I work from...

Layouts look like this. not much different. Mostly I just tighten the line up and clean up the stray pencil markings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to think whether it's make sense to ink the drawings before or after the watercolors. I suppose though that the watercolor could be done on a separate layer, depending on whether the paper can accept/absorb it

Miko said...

Oh I see,that's very helpful. I can tell that these skeletons are very pragmatic in relation to the painting step.

I've always known in theory the importance of definition in drawing whether it be as just a drawing, but more importantly when it's the basis of something in a next step. I understand that theory more, however, with your examples. Fun!

I need to learn shorthand.... =/

Unknown said...

i love to draw..but what is the best color that i will use to make my drawing look real?..hehehe i'm not good at color combination...





beware to be a victim...
bestessays scam


thanks,
badloi