Friday, June 6, 2008

Hot enough for ya?

I hate hot weather. I love it in principal...but my body has no tolerance for it. Yesterday it was 88 and humid. Do you know how difficult it is to paint or draw on paper that has been effected by that? Your only remedy is to try and dry it as you are working...with a hand held hair dryer...A hair dryer! Today's forecast is for 88 and thunderstorms. Now, don't get me wrong...I love a thunderstorm and have been known to go running around out in a deluge (that feels great)...but I cain't get me no woik done when it's so heavy of air!
I hate using the air conditioning because I like fresh air. But if this lasts as long as it's supposed to, I s'pose we'll have to drag the window units outta the basement. Two days ago it was 45. Ah, Chicago. Why do I love thee again?
I s'pose I also could grab the dehumidifier from the basement. But, how many big honkin' electric, loud machines do I want to try and jam into my 10 x 15 foot art studio? That already has a giant drawing table,craft table and shelves for scanner etc?
I do believe this room is not insulated. And I have a southern exposure. So, some recyled bluejeans insulation laid across the ceiling in the attic might help. As well as a window fan to get the hot air out. These are things I can do.
I must go take a cold shower, then start the day...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Used to live in Japan when I was a kid. Around June/July, the foreignors would find someplace else to go, as it was the "rainy season." 90'+, rain virtually very day, sticky sticky sticky. I don't know how I did it (except I was a kid.)

Now I have rules against sitting in pools of my own sweat: can't do it; won't do it. I love Chicago for the cooler weather; I suffer the fast switchover from Spring to Summer just like you appear to be doing... Give it up and put the airconds in. You don't want to stick to the pages!

Jill Thompson said...

I hate when I stick to the pages. I wait until the last minute to force Brian to hoist the ac up from the basement. I can sit in my swimsuit and sweat it out, but not when i've got a project... I didn't have an ac in the summer of 95. 115 in the shade that year. ug.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but it was less humid that year. I don't know why, but the sticky summers are back...